Monday, February 24, 2014

Tips: Business Side of Blogging


Here are a few tips I learned about the business side of blogging at my first blog conference:

Business Side of Blogging Tips:
  • Know where you fit with your readers (Like if your post/blog is on how to run a half marathon, you know what they have worked up to and where they might be next.)
  • When you know that you can work for your readers to help them and benefit yourself as well.
  • Look at keyword research and find your most popular and least popular to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
  • The message of your blog is what you do for your audience and Branding is how your audience views you. (Are they the same?)
  • Be professional from the start and use spell check.
  • If you are working with a company know what it is all about before you signup/agree to it.
What NOT to do: 
  • Don’t produce results (If you say you’re going to do something, do it!)
  • be late
  • be a diva or bully.
Things that makes clients cringe:
  • Foul language
  • history of rants/slams
  • posts without photos
  • lack of engagement
  • blogs that do nothing but pimp
I am not at the level of "business blogger," but it was so fun to learn about that side of blogging. I would recommend new bloggers to go to a conference if they have the opportunity to do so. Even if you are unsure about blogging as a business, if your curious (like I was and still am) you learn so much and meet so many "business bloggers."

I hope that this was helpful to you!

Other tips:
Staying true to you 
Tips for ads/links/monetization 

2 comments:

  1. The "posts without photos" thing really gets me. I'm wondering if making my own graphic counts well enough? Granted, I think I'm going to keep my blog as a personal hobby rather than trying to host sponsors, so maybe I don't need to worry about it. What are your thoughts when you're reading blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Honestly I think because this was geared towards entertainment or travel blogging. Those blogs with no pictures would make a bigger difference. Like a post about a trip somewhere amazing and beautiful with no pictures. I know that some posts don't need any pictures and its frustrating to have to come up with something. I love all of your posts. Some times words are the only thing needed.

      Delete