Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My First Blog Conference



I have soooo much to say about attending my first blog conference. My brain has a billion thoughts of ways I can get the information and ideas out that I'm kind of going crazy. Anyways, I guess I will start from the beginning.

A few weeks ago a blogger wrote to me about how she saw that I was a military wife living in Los Angeles and that I liked Disney, traveling, and had some YouTube videos up. She told me there was a blog conference focused on entertainment and travel blogging coming up and they were giving military spouse scholarships. I was surprised and happy she contacted me because of how small my blog is.

I would like to thank her, Rheanna. Thank you so much. You have helped me with blogging and confidence as a blogger. I wish you were able to make it and hope to meet you next year! (She was snowed in, like many others, and I was texting her the whole time asking for advice!)


I was unsure if I should go because, really, I just started my blog (people there, even speakers were saying "it's okay new bloggers that started like two years ago." And Im like uhh... try five months ago. Haha). When I started my blog it wasn't for business or money. I didn't think about branding or anything like that. I couldn't even pick a niche, which I have learned is very important!

Beginning to blog and learning about other bloggers and awesome opportunities that come their way from being a blogger, I got curious. I knew that they were sponsored or ads but I had no clue about the business-y side of blogging. I knew that blog conferences were expensive and that this was a super rare opportunity, so I decided to go. I had to.

I learned more than I ever would by just googling blog information. I am so grateful for this opportunity and so glad that I went. Every single person I met, bloggers, speakers, businesses were so friendly and welcoming. I learned something new from every speaker. I would totally recommend blog conferences to new bloggers. It is an amazing way to learn from people that you would never get to meet or experience.

Being inspired by all of these amazing people has taught me many ways to make my blog better for the readers and myself. I am thinking of finally picking a niche (even if it's a bit broad) and slowly incorporating it into my blog.


Everyone that reads my blog is important to me and I want to put out things that I am proud of.

I would also like to thank Erica from Entertainment New Media Network for the military spouse scholarship, for an amazing conference, and welcoming a newbie blogger.

I will post more about specific things that I learned that I think will help other new bloggers soon!

Are you thinking of going to your first conference?

14 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun. I hope you do share what your learned with us. :)
    I was always scared to go to blog conferences because my blog is fairly new and small. eeek.. but I always wanted to go..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have a great time. I met the founder of SoCal Lady Bloggers. They are having a conference next month in DownTown Los Angeles. I think you would have a blast. She was really nice and knowledgeable.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Gina! I've been to an annual conference for two years now. I will always remember my first time and all the things that I learned. It was a huge confidence builder for me too.

    Feel free to ask questions. We're all learning.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo (@zoojourneys)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome experience. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. That's so exciting you went to a conference- can't wait to hear more about it!!! I've always been so overwhelmed with the idea of picking a niche and focus, so I bet a conference would really help with all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super overwhelming, but everyone I met was really helpful. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I've never been to anything like this but I think it would be neat. Hearing about your awesome experience makes me want to even MORE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun. I think you would love it!

      Delete
  5. Blog conferences are always so fun!!! :) Glad you went to one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!! I didn't even know they had these conferences in our area Gina; I'd love to attend with even though I don't make any money from blog and it is more because I don't know how! Can't wait to read about what you learned. Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would love it! There is one next month in Downtown LA. Im thinking of going.

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful! Also, I'm a little jealous you were in Anaheim. I miss it. Can't wait to hear more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anaheim is one of my favorite places to visit. I love Orange County. Thanks!

      Delete